Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Strongman Jesus



Has anyone else noticed a trend of Christians inventing a new Jesus more to their liking?
This strongman Jesus is very “manly” and doesn’t let anybody push him around, especially not women or foreigners. This new Jesus is white and proud of it. He backs winners” and shames “losers”
Strongman Jesus has no qualms about taking power and using it to influence politics and economics. He is wealthy and getting wealthier. He doesn’t talk about loving your enemies or turning the other cheek. Strongman Jesus carries a gun in his back pocket like Junior Falwell to shoot those who refuse to bow to him. 
I can understand the desire to be more in sync with the world in these ways but this fabricated Jesus does not come from the Bible and certainly bears no similarity to the real Jesus who flatly rejected all those things and said you’d recognize his followers because they will reject them, too. 

I am expecting the usual responses from my Evangelical friends who will say “where are you seeing this? My church is wonderful and no one says anything like this. So, if I am imagining this I would love to be wrong. I love the real Jesus too much to let “peer pressure “ lead me to invent a more culturally palatable version. Do you see this happening too? Share examples




















1 comment:

  1. I do know some who differ with the version you describe...but sadly, I also see a lot of what I call American Christianity - confusing 'American rights and values' with Christian identity.
    I appreciate your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete

Our comfort may kill us

Years ago I had the privilege of having lunch with a group of pastors of underground house churches in China who were visiting Wheaton Coll...